REFLECTOR: 24 volt electrical system

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Wed Sep 27 17:29:44 CDT 2006

Andy,
Everything you say has merit.
I think, however, that the advantages of building an Experimental aircraft with a 12-volt system "trumps" all the good points that you mention.
12-volt automotive alternator ... $200 something
12-volt accessory plugs for cell phones, computers
12-volt interior lights and other "do-dads" borrowed from the marine and RV world ...12v bilge fans and hair dryers for forced air cabin heat and defrost, map lights, great DVD/CD players, and the list goes on.
12-volt means $$ saved on equipment.  24-v 12volt battery at Sears ($) versus a 24-volt Gill ($$$).
Best regards,
Scott B.