REFLECTOR: Where to put your AHRS

Hiroo Umeno humeno at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 26 09:09:24 CDT 2006

It seems that judging from much of the responses I got, many of you have units that has separate AHRS and magnetometer.  As it turns out, mine is an integral unit.  One black box that has inertial sensor, magnetometer, fiber-optic gyro, all built in.  I currently have the unit on top of the sump tank and I see the attitude reading drops off as I get above 40Kts or so.  During the flight, usually in turns, the reading would come back for a second or so but for the most part, they remain off.

The manufacturer suggested it may be caused by magnetic interferance.  They told me that under the seat would be tricky since movement of the seats will affect the magnetic field.  They also told me to keep the unit close to the aircraft's rotational axis and away from major high-current wires.  Well, on a Velocity, that pretty much rules out the whole plane...

Hiroo