REFLECTOR: I'm Pitot(ed) off

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 22 09:06:50 CDT 2006

MessageYes, you heard it here!  The problem with the bow wave was with the
static port.  I have a pitot static probe and the static ports are on the
top and bottom.  The pitot function works fine but the static ports, which
are closer to the nose, see pressure from the bow wave.  I abandoned the
pitot mounted static ports and went to a static port on the side of the
fuselage below the door.  When you think about it, the pressure created by
forward facing things is what makes a pitot system work.

Larry Coen
N136LC