REFLECTOR: epoxy pump ratio

Steve Davey sadsxlrg5 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 17 08:54:52 CDT 2006

Steve:

  I had the same problem the first time I used mine.  I set the distance of the hardener arm per the instructions.  Filled the reservoirs and stroked it enough times to ensure all the chambers and lines were full.  I then took my sample.  The next day the sample still had not hardened.  I went through the same exercises mentioned in other E-mails.  What it came down to....as a Christmas gift my wife had purchased the pump.  Not knowing, she didn't mention the required ratio.  The pump came with the "standard" pistons and blocks.  A quick call to Michael's, an explanation of the ratio I needed, and they sent out the correct ratio piston/block.  All has worked well since then.   Only looses suction when running low.  It does occasionally block up when the hardener "crystallizes"

  Steve Davey
  xlrg5
  Just put wings on for the first time.

Steve Goldman <steve at fatcatair.com> wrote:
  Well I've finally was ready to actually start mixing epoxy to attach the wing
foam cores. First thing I do though is check the ratio I get from my
Michael Eng. pump. It's wrong. When I calculate the wt. ratio I have .537
very consistently. I used two scales and they both agree. I've checked the
distance of the hardener setting and it's correct (2.25 in.) The slide is
directly under the hardener piston like it is supposed to be. I've tried
pumping very slow (waiting 15+ sec. at the bottom of the stroke) to be
sure cavitation shouldn't be an issue. No matter I get the same ratio.

Since the pump is brand new I wouldn't expect a problem with the check
valves but unless the calibration of these things is normally this
far off I'm not sure what to do. (If the calibration is commonly off
this far I can't see the point of the table for all the ratios.)

--
Steve Goldman
'77 Tiger N28531

Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery