REFLECTOR: Fuel Cap Grounding

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Sat Sep 16 18:39:58 CDT 2006

Yes, we presume so!

I also attached a ground wire to each fuel cap ring while building the
strakes.  I ran it between the upper and lower skins of the upper strake
shell by "drilling" into the foam from the edge with a length of #10
threaded rod.  Once the wire was in place I backfilled the space around the
wire with some wet micro (injected with a syringe).  I made each wire come
out at the end of the center-section spar, where it connects to the tiedown
rings.

I also ran another wire from each tiedown ring to the firewall ground bolt,
which is connected to the engine.  This means that the fuel cap rings are
electrically bonded to the engine and both tiedowns, so I can connect the
fuel pump ground clip to any of those points.

Keith

  _____