REFLECTOR: epoxy pump ratio

Steve Goldman steve at fatcatair.com
Sat Sep 16 17:40:41 CDT 2006

Tony Babb wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I also have a Michaels pump. As I recall the initial calibration was
> slightly off (maybe 47:100?) from what I needed (44:100). Not surprising
> since they sell these things to lots of different people doing different

I got mine from Velocity and it came from the factory (supposedly) set for
correct ratio. For that ratio the measure from the right side of the pivot
to the left of the block under hardener is supposed to be 2.25 inches.
According to the tables provide 2.25 is the right measure.

> things with them. I bought mine several years ago and I don't recall them
> providing any measurements, I just adjusted it until I got 44:100. Are you
> remembering to subtract the weight of the empty container from the total
> weight of the container with harder or resin in them before you do the ratio
> calculation?

Yes.

> I usually do about 10 pumps to get a reasonable sample size and
> minimize errors. I also recheck every now and again, such as before I do
> anything structural or if I haven't used it in a while.

I've actually done more than 10 pumps (about 13) since the more you pump
the better the calculation accuracy. It's very consistent whether I pump
fast or slow (and slow is 15 seconds at the bottom of the stroke).

--
Steve Goldman
'77 Tiger N28531