REFLECTOR: Franklin hard starting

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 16 14:41:56 CDT 2006

BlankHiroo,

Something else occurred to me after my last message.  With excessive ground
operations such as taxi testing at low power settings, there is a tendency
to carbon up your plugs yet yours are nice and clean.  That isn't natural.
When you are starting your engine the only thing that is supplying fuel is
the idle jet.  If the idle mixture is set too lean then the engine will be
real hard to start.  If memory serves, the idle mixture should be opened 1
1/4 turns as a starting point.  Another thing to check are the magnetos and
impulse couplers.  If  you rotate the engine slowly past TDC (mix cutoff
switch off), you should hear a distinct snap or two.  Also check the model
number on your carburetor.  It should be a MA-5 10-4865.  Remember, if
everything is functioning correctly, the engine WILL start easily.  Keep at
it, you will find the solution and good luck.

Larry Coen
N136LC