REFLECTOR: Flight data -

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Sep 14 20:07:35 CDT 2006

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Flight data - Was Props

My Wingco wing turned right with incidences the same on the leveler.  I
decreased the left wing incidence and when I got to level I split the
difference and shimmed each wing for level flight.  Unfortunately I had to
re fair the leading edges to match.

Rene’

Rene’,

It took aileron deflection of close to an inch to go straight.  What was
your case, and do you have an idea of how much shim washer thickness needed.
I now have some shim washers on the top bolts on the right side of about
.030, which I can remove and put on the left side.  Think that’s enough??

My rudders seem to be aligned quite nicely both sides.  Does having a 200#
pilot only have any effect on roll trim?  My added oil cooler inlet scoop is
causing a bit more drag on the left side – which already has the armpit
scoop for the radiator in the cowl.  Don’t know how much effect that has.

Wayne – I have complete corruption of the mixture correction table going on,
as well as other setting changes.  We are looking at possible electrical
noise getting into the programming circuits.

Thanks,

Al

Had the plane in the air for ½ hour yesterday, basically orbiting the
airport at about 3500 MSL (DA about 6500’); OAT of 90F.  With my augmented
inlet scoop for the oil cooler, the engine temps were fine. Basically no
envelope expansion yet, cruised level at 65-70% power.

Typical data was 2050 prop RPM, TAS 160 kts (IAS about 145 kts).  Estimated
power setting about 60-65%

Continued problems with RWS engine controller (EC2) – spurious data setting
changes.

New problem is tendency for turning to the left – right control input needed
to go straight, some right rudder needed to offset adverse yaw due to the
aileron input.  Seems clearly a wing incidence issue.  Incidence checks with
the gage shows both wings to be exactly the same; however, I have known
since installing the wings that this was a concern because the leading edge
profiles of the Wingco wings are not the same.  The incidence is going to
have to be set by trial and error.  Major bummer.

But, hey; it was up there flying, looking great and sounding great for a
significant period of time, and came back safely.  Have to be happy about
that.

Al