REFLECTOR: Engine Build Date for my Velo

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Tue Sep 12 17:52:24 CDT 2006

Hi TEC,
I know that you have had problems with the Mt on your aircraft.  Velocity (the factory) has been operating Mt propellers for 8+ years on all of its aircraft.  Looking at a sample set of at least 6-installations, we have not had any major problems.  One propeller had excessive grease slinging and blade play.  We paid $400 to Mt to have a 25-hour propeller hub overhauled with the new style steel blade inserts.  We were not happy to pay $$ to overhaul a virtually new propeller, but did it nevertheless.  Overall I give Mt a "B" grade for performance; a "C" grade for durability; and a "D" grade for customer service.  Up until this last year Mt was the only game in town with regards to constant speed propellers.  Aero Composites looks very promising and expensive.  Whirlwind is giving signals that it is getting back into the pusher business.  Hoffman - forget it.  Vesta - not tested on direct drive engines.  Catto appears to be making cs blades for Mt hubs on a very, very limited basis.
I wish I knew why your installation has been so problematic.  All I can say is that we have had good success with Mt props, as have the Service Center customers of which we are familiar.
I really wish Mt would make a more rugged propeller.  A California customer just called to report the loss of a gas cap, which caused major damage to his Mt propeller.  I guess props are not designed to withstand this kind of punishment, however it pains me (and him) to think about the cost of replacing the propeller.
SB