REFLECTOR: Fuel Tank Calibration

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Tue Sep 12 09:01:11 CDT 2006

Dave,

Here's a simple, low-tech way of calibrating your tanks that leaves
everything in place and is accurate, if not exactly precise.

1.	Level plane, all axis.
2.	Drain fuel header.
3.	Add back approximate volume of header tank to one wing
	(lift wing to aid in transferring fuel into header tank.)  For
electronic systems, do you "0" calibration now.
4.	At the self-serve pump, or with kind words to the fuel truck
guy, put 5 gallons in each strake and mark your 3/4" wooden dowel and do
any electronic calibration if using electronic fuel indication.
5.	Add another 5 gallons to each side--mark stick and do electronic
cal.
6.	Repeat until both wings are full.

The marked stick will allow you to always know what your fuel level is
if your electronic do-dads go out of cal.  The same stick can be used
for your nose-gear-stick.

The small amount of fuel that might siphon from one wing to the other
during the 5 gallon filling is negligible and will not affect the
accuracy of your final calibration.

Chuck Jensen