REFLECTOR: Fuel Tank Calibration

Dave Black dvblack at comcast.net
Tue Sep 12 08:37:21 CDT 2006

We are just about to do our fuel tank calibration, and I realized I
don't know a good way to stop fuel from flowing from the strake tanks
into the sump. We do not have fuel shutoff valves on the individual
strake tanks.

The best we've been able to come up with is to remove the sump and
temporarily install some longer hoses to the strake tank drains. That
way we could block those hoses while calibrating the tanks, then when
done drain the fuel into fuel cans.

But this becomes a somewhat complicated and messy process -- and will
require a minimum of 6 gasoline cans. How has everyone else done it? Can
anyone suggest a better method of calibrating the fuel tanks?

Thanks,
Dave Black
Shortwing RG