REFLECTOR: Another Velocity in the air!

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Tue Sep 5 17:06:46 CDT 2006

Hiroo,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

Some of the roughness with Franklins has to do with the fact that they have a more aggressive cam - meaning that there is more than normal overlap with the intake valve opening before the exhaust valve closes.  This causes some roughness (like a drag racer or hot rod), but increases horsepower output at higher RPM.  That is why the Franklin puts out more horses (220 vs. 200 from 350 cubic inches versus 360 cubic inches in a Lycoming.  If the mag checks are coming out OK, then the plugs aren't fouled (yet).

And pumping the throttle (accelerator pump) WHILE the engine is turning over is ok and a lot cheaper than installing a primer system.  We did it all the time on our Cessna 172 - it seemed to crank better than using the installed primer system.  But one of my partners did the pumping before turning the engine over - I kept telling him that was a dangerous practice since the fuel would just fall back in to the airbox - but we were lucky!!!

Have FUN!  (but be careful too!!!)
Ronnie