REFLECTOR: Franklin Paranoia?

Donald Royer djroyer at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 3 20:33:11 CDT 2006

Hiroo,

I want to second everything that Larry says. Especially about the danger of Pumping the throttle to prime the engine. There have been two carburetor fires from this with my Franklin. Fortunately they were both caught early and not much damage was done. In one case I was at the controls and the other time Steve Murphree was at the controls. I am surprised that Steve didn't warn you about this.
Since I installed a primer system, I have had absolutely no trouble starting the engine. My procedure is essentially the same as Larry's except that I start on one mag because I have replaced the other mag with an Electroair ignition which tends to backfire when used for starting.
A random thought, you do shut off the boost pump before you crank don't you?