REFLECTOR: follow-up rudder flutter

TimRhod at aol.com TimRhod at aol.com
Sun Sep 3 20:00:32 CDT 2006

Tonight I flight tested my rudders on my XLRG. If you recall I had a  flutter
incident during and before  the aircup race to Oshkosh.   Dwane Swing had me
measure my distances from front of winglet to other winglet  and then trailing
edge of rudders. He stated the rear measurement should be 1 to  2 inches
greater than the front. Mine measured one half inch. I have now shimmed  both
rudders out to the one inch measurement and tonight test flew to 230KTS. It  was
solid on all control surfaces. Problem solved.  I did create another  problem
which perhaps someone can help me with.  To get to 230 kts I needed  full power
and the prop turned back just a tad 2600RPM then dive to speed. At  first I
noticed a very slight miss or pop in the engine while diving which
progressivly got worse with each run up to 230 kts when it really began popping  and
shaking. So much so I planned to make a precationary landing on a air strip  close
to me As I lost altitude at low throttle the popping continued but did
improve to the point I decided to go for home about 10 miles away. It continued  to
pop but ran and would also accelerate on command  On landing at low  throttle
a lot more poping all the way to the ground. Didn't do anything but  make
sure nothing was falling off. hangered it for the night as it was to dark  to do
anything else. I am thinking I might have fouled the plugs in the dive.  What
do others think?   Tim Rhodenbaugh