REFLECTOR: Velocity 20B update

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Mon Oct 30 13:23:31 CST 2006

Just to let you know that flight testing is continuing, and we've just
passed 15 hours of flight time.  Overall, the plane and engine are doing
fine.  Things are trimmed out now for straight and true handling (and even
fuel flow from both tanks).  The remaining issue is too much canard, even
after reducing incidence by a bit over 1 degree.  The consensus of the
experts (Scott, Scott, and Alan Shaw) is to shorten the canard (cut about 4"
sections out of both sides).  Ouch!  Probably going to also add some vg's on
the wings forward of the ailerons which could help at the low speed end, but
will not help the need for too much down elevator (trailing edge up) when I
get to about 175 KIAS.

There must be lots of Wingco canards flying.  Am I the only one with this
issue?  Wondering if my 'leading edge extensions' on the strake (a la
Long-EZ); http://members.cox.net/alg3/airplane.htm, might be adding a bit of
lift under the strake forward of the normal center of lift.

I'll have to add I am very pleased with the operation of the 3-rotor rotary
engine - in spite of few minor glitches still with the ECU.  It starts
easily hot or cold, runs smooth, plenty of power, and easy one-lever
operation. Haven't established top end yet, but did get up to about 205 KTAS
(175 KIAS at DA of close to 10,000 ft).  After gear up on takeoff the VSI
strip pegs out at 1000 fpm with close to 2100 # total weight. If you want
fast descent; gear down, power off (no worries about shock cooling), and
push both rudders out. Nice high controlled sink rate.

 Oh, yeah, and I'm now able to fly the plane myself after some good checkout
help from Steve Murphree.

Lots of work and testing left to do.

BTW, in chatting with Alan I learned he is back in operation with some
military contracts, and back to finishing some redesign on the Atlantica
with plans for constructing again at some point.  Good news.  You have to
admire tenacity and innovation.

Al