REFLECTOR: Severely rough-running Franklin

Rene Dugas dugasd at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 30 12:33:06 CST 2006

Just finished my annual and found one plug wire cut and three more very
worn from the fiberglass plenum near the engine mount.  My tie wraps had
broken and allowed the wires to vibrate against the edge.  My engine ran
very rough and fouled the number one plug three times.  A long story
shortened.  I found the wires worn as they passed inside of the engine
mount in  a very tight area.  I have modified it.  I then found that
when I changed the entire wiring harness it ran exactly the same.  I
cleaned and gapped the plugs and injectors and exactly the same.  Remove
the left Mag and had it rebuilt.  Ran exactly the same.  250 rpm drop on
mag check.  Rechecked the plugs and found lower 3 and 5 oily and no
fire.  Cleaned them now runs great.  Point plugs foul even sitting up on
Lycomings since oil can get on them from just doing the compression
tests during the annual.  So check plugs, wires, plugs again, mags,
ground, etc.  I would think a compression test would detect a sticking
valve and may be easier than removing the exhaust.

Rene'