REFLECTOR: Severely rough-running Franklin

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 30 12:02:00 CST 2006

Hiroo,

Changing the oil could not cause the problem you are having unless something
else was disturbed in the process.  Having changed the oil on my Franklin I
don't see how that could happen.  Pulling a couple of the lower plugs could
be very revealing.  If they are wet with fuel it would indicate that the
engine is flooding.  Possible causes might be a stuck primer solenoid or you
didn't turn off the electric pump before starting.  I don't know how your
fuel system is plumbed up but if your electric pump supplies pressure to the
inlet of the engine driven pump, running both will produce excessive
pressure to the carburetor forcing fuel past the float valve.  If the plugs
are wet with oil, how much oil did you put in there?  Stuck valves after 10
hours of operation are unlikely with any engine but are easy to check with a
compression test.

Larry Coen
SE-RG Franklin
(50 hours)