REFLECTOR: air filter

Craig and/or Denise Woolston cdwoolston at verizon.net
Tue Oct 24 07:51:56 CDT 2006

This is one of my "excuses" for why it took so long to finish our airplane.
Getting enough filter area and finding enough space in the cowl without
ducting going all over the place was a challenge.  After 3 iterations, I
ended up with a dual inlet air box, which is hung off the back of the plenum
that is feed from either runner with 3" scat route along the outside of the
cylinder heads.  I don't have the pictures at home but I can take some this
week and send out (I always thought I should add it to the TVBF.org) to you.
I had Bracket Aero Filters custom cut us two oval panel filters.  Believe
me, that was the cheapest part of the whole deal.  At first I tried to get
an off the shelf K&N or similar and struggled.  They cut me two sets (4
filters) (and keep the template as a "stocked" air filter) for $30 bucks
including shipping.  Also, I ended up using Bracket suggested formula for
computing required size, not K&N, because there was no way I was getting
that much filter area under the cowl.

I was always concerned that about this so I never really spoke up before
after I finely solved it, but I can say with confidence now that it works.
We just turned 12 hours on the plane and we are seeing great performance.

Craig
XL-5FG Flying in Palmdale, CA