REFLECTOR: air filter

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Tue Oct 24 07:43:29 CDT 2006

I built an air filter box using 3-4 layers of BID on top of foam blocks
covered with duct tape.  The box is two pieces with flanges and screws and
nut plates holding it together.
http://home.sprintmail.com/~romott/page45.html

Originally I used a Fram paper air filter from a 1985 Camaro - which was
about 7 x 7".  I found it collapsed after a flight through light rain and I
removed it.  I replaced it with a Bracket BA5705 which is a foam filter from
a Sundowner (180 HP O-360).

It is working fine although it is a bit hard to service when the wing is on.
I DO NOT fly in conditions which could result in a frozen filter since there
is no emergency source of air if the filter freezes up.

There are other designs by folks who have put a ram air scoop and filter in
the wing root which are probably more successful and serviceable.

Ronnie