REFLECTOR: Aileron Rigging

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Mon Oct 23 08:33:08 CDT 2006

I had a similar problem (although I do not have a "5").  My cables were
clamped on both ends ... but flex in the line caused extra movement when
under pressure.  If you hold each aileron and move the stick you can see
where the "flex" is and correct it by securing the cable.  This may not
be your problem ... but it is worth a try.  Another possibility is the
geometry of the "Stick to Aileron Torque Tube" attach points.  The stick
attached to the right side of the torque tube.  I have found that this
makes movement to the right easier than movement to the left.  If you
look at the installation, you'll see what I mean.  This slight
mechanical advantage can cause a heavy right wing.  That can be overcome
with tighter rigging on the opposite side and/or wing washers.

It took me a while to work these things out ... but now my plane flies
"hands off" straight and level for miles and miles.

Tom