REFLECTOR: barn door speed brake

michalk michalk at awpi.com
Tue Oct 17 17:59:31 CDT 2006

This was discussed a long time ago.

How about a force activated switch.
Think of a spring that can travel about 1 inch, and when compressed that
inch, exerts the maximum force you would want to subject to your
brake/actuator.

When the spring is extended, it let's you do whatever you want to the
speed brake.  When it's compressed, a switch is triggered that tries to
retract the brake.

One could easily test the maximum forces worst case on the ground.  Just
press against the farthest edge of the brake until you hear crackling
noises, and set your switch to actuate before you get to that point.

That said, unless the hinges fail, I don't think the brake would break
in half.  It would crumple in compressive failure across the line of the
actuator hardpoint.