REFLECTOR: Gurney flap

cgputney at peoplepc.com cgputney at peoplepc.com
Mon Oct 16 10:32:37 CDT 2006

Thanks Ron.   I thought someone used a gurney flap to increase effective "toe in" on rudders to preclude instabilities in handling.   Years ago, when I first measured between rudder LE's and TE's to learn "toe in" Duane said just do not tolerate zero toe in.  Mine is about 1/4".   Recent threads have readdressed this issue, and now I hear one inch is recommended.   Putting the flap on the outside of the rudder TE makes sense to me, however, I hope someone has tried it and can recommend flap span.   Gordon.