REFLECTOR: barn door speed brake

Steve Goldman steve at fatcatair.com
Mon Oct 9 18:55:31 CDT 2006

Terry Miles wrote:
> For anyone who has the XL-RG-5 and is considering a speed brake, know
> that all the "stuff" that has to go into the drop-down keel on the dash
> 5 version does not allow a normal install of the speedbrake mechanism.

So this is a perfect chance to ask my question. I've been wondering about
a speed brake on my RG XL-5. I'm not sure I really need one since I don't
intend to have a fixed pitch prop but that isn't my real concern. I'm wondering
if there are XL-5's with speed brakes flying? The reason I ask is that with
the cut-down keel in an XL-5 it seems like the keel isn't as stiff as the
normal keel and with the speed brake being cut into the bottom of the
fuselage in a nearby location that there could be concern about the fuselage
flexing during landing. I am a known worrier though...

--
Steve Goldman
'77 Tiger N28531