REFLECTOR: Winglet trimming

Jack Prock jackprock at comcast.net
Sun Oct 8 00:59:32 CDT 2006

Steve,

Andy Ellzey and I both had the same issue. I would think the factory would
update the manual, but they seem slow to
do that even when several people have the same problem over and over.

I asked the EXACT SAME question on the reflector on 7/30... if you go back,
you will see the chat. I will give you
the response that Andy sent me when I asked the question. His is a much
better explanation than I can do:

>> I had the same issue as you are talking about. Put your winglet
>>back in the billet half that matches the inboard side of the winglet. Mark
the lines on the billet half, the 28" mark
>>will fall on the billet half and the 12" will fall on your winglet. Now
mark the 1" foam trim line on your winglet
>>per the manual. This line will fall entirely on your winglet. Sand your
billet half to match the contour of the trailing
>>edge where the line comes off the foam of the winglet. Line you billet
half with plastic to make a mold half for your
>>lay-up. Do your inboard lay-up per the manual leaving enough cloth for the
entire size per the manual. When you put
>>your winglet in your billet half it will form your trailing edge for the
correct 28". After it cures you will trim the foam
>>back the 1" on your winglet per manual, and this line will fall on the
foam. The manual also doesn't tell you what
>>to do with the top of the winglet, leave it squared off like it came out
of the billet or round it off. I rounded mine
>>off to a nice aerodynamic shape. If you have room to attach your wings to
the spar when you are ready to attach
>>your winglets, as the manual suggests, this is the best way to make sure
your winglets and wings are completely
>>matched. Make all of the cross check measurements the manual calls for. I
used a water level at the wing tips to
>>level both wings attached to the spar. I spent 2 full days getting
everything just right, I'm hoping this will payoff in
>>how my aircraft flies.

I followed this and my winglets came out great. Hope this helped.

Jack Prock