REFLECTOR: Canard incidence

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Oct 6 11:58:49 CDT 2006

I’m getting too much lift on the canard, and it stalls at too high a speed
on approach. I was surprised, because the incidence gage is exactly on
center when the plane is level.  I guess it is too late to be annoyed to
find that I shouldn’t be surprised, because the WingCo canard has a 8-9”
wider span, and it has more upper surface camber.  But you’ve got to wonder
why I wasn’t provided with an appropriate gauge, or at least warned that the
incidence may need to be reduced, you know; a few years ago before it was
all fitted in and painted.

Anyway, I suspect I’m not the first to have to do this, so thought I’d see
if there are any tips I should know.  We’re seeing about 1 ½” trailing edge
up at 175 kias with about 400 pounds in the 2 front seats, and it is feeling
like incipient stall on approach with gear down when below about 90 kias,
and only about 1/2” trailing edge down on landing (hot landing). Clean stall
(buffeting) is just below 70 kias, and 1 ½ - 2” trailing edge down.  I
assume it is a matter of shimming the attach points, and fitting everything
else up.  Of course it would be nice to know how much, or at least a good
starting point.  Or is there some easier solution?

Thanks,

Al