REFLECTOR: Phenolic Pad Options

Dave Dent davedent at comcast.net
Fri Oct 6 00:38:25 CDT 2006

I have installed a .005 stainless steel sheet between my axel and the gear leg.  I have had no problem with the heat transfer.  I  punch the holes for the bolt pattern and then slide the bolts through them when I install the axel to the gear leg.  I then put high temp (red) RTV to hold the upper part of the shield to the gear leg.   I go up the leg to just below the top of the tire with the shield.
I cut a pattern with thin cardboard to match the gear leg after I punch the holes in the bottom to match the axel bolt pattern.  Lay this on the thin SS and match cut it and punch the holes.  Then take some tin snips and cut the shield to match the leg.  De-bur it and install the whole works.  Good heat refraction and inconspicuous as well.
Dave