REFLECTOR: Flight - Natural High

len.baxter at gm.com len.baxter at gm.com
Wed Oct 4 07:47:52 CDT 2006

Congratulations Al,

 I hope you will continue to keep intouch with all of us when you are not
" on high "    Enjoy!!

Len
XLRG   ( starting in Nov )
__________________

A couple of visions, and the associated emotion, are still with me.  The
test pilot had taken off and climbed out to the NE and disappeared into
the distance below some high scattered clouds.  We knew he was out there,
doing his ?work?, and occasionally we?d hear the distant distinctive sound
of the 3-rotor engine, and we?d hear the occasional call to Center on our
hand held radio.  After about 35 minutes we heard his call to the tower,
and shortly after could see the speck of the plane miles to the east.  We
also heard his request for straight in over the runway, with a break to
left downwind over mid-field.  And soon, there it was ? in a hard left
bank overhead, that distinctive beautiful silhouette against the
background of high broken clouds.  Smooth and fast - MY airplane; my sweat
and effort and anxiety. What a sight ? what a sound!! That moment of
exhilaration I?ll remember, and know one of the reasons why we do this.

Later I climbed in the right seat for a flight to focus on engine
parameters.  I did that through most of the climb-out, and for awhile as
we cruised at 3500? agl.  But then I started to enjoy the view, and the
sensation of speed - even at that altitude, as we banked over the hills
and valleys. I took the stick to get a feel for the control response.  And
there I was; flying my plane, with the very kool EFIS displays, cruising
at 200 mph, and enjoying the beautiful view.  Definitely high; a natural
high.

Ok, there are still some problems to solve and things to adjust, but I?ll
think about that tomorrow.

Keep building; and it will come.

Al

user:pw Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail