REFLECTOR: Rough River Fly-in

Jack Sheehan jsheehan at ncam-sats.org
Tue Oct 3 10:58:07 CDT 2006

Over 70 canard aircraft flew in to the Rough River State Park in Kentucky.
We had 5  Velocity's that I counted but there may have been one more
parked at the other end. There were a couple of Velocity builders who drove .
The Bettenhausen brothers from Indy drove and they brought the keg of beer.
Party was at their cabin. The weather was rainy all day Saturday but
folks still
managed to hang out around the airport and socialize. Really that is
what goes on
you just hang out and look at some of the most innovative airplanes flying.
There Steve's Stager-EZ, a Cozy RG w/IO-540 ( can you say fast).
Bill Mulrooney's XL w/ chevy 427 was a big attraction. Too many other
really neat projects.
This was a great place. State park with an airport! What were they thinking.
The loge sell out early but there is plenty of camping or motels at
the other end of
the runway short walk. Food is served in the lodge (cheap $10 buffet)
Plenty of stuff to
do. Great for kids and the wives really enjoyed the event. I think
about 1/3 of the folks
brought their other half. No tower, No flagmen, go fly if you want
beautiful country.
I am looking forward to next year and hope to have a few more
Velocity's show up.
The best compliment was paid to me by a woman as we were walking back with
our luggage. She asked (looking at the suitcases and cooler etc "did
you drive?'
I said no we flew our Velocity. She remarked "Oh! you came in a Cadillac"
More info and pictures http://www.roughriver.org/

Jack
N55XL
Race 55