REFLECTOR: Exhaust Questions Need durability and HP

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 29 18:59:33 CST 2006

Several years ago I had a pipe break clean off.... only the safety wire kept
it from going thru the prop.  It made a lot of noise banging against the
cowling but I had only about 10 minutes flight to get back home so it could
have been worse (the wire would have broken after a while).  Actually, the
scary part was when the exhaust flame inside the cowling melted  the aileron
control cable and essentially froze-up aileron movement.  Luckily, I had a
straight-in, no wind so the plane was conrtrollable with rudders. Until I
landed and looked, I had no idea what was going-on... just that I wanted it
to never happen again.  It was a crappy design that had that "U" hanging out
there with no support.  It thought it was a tuning-fork and was only a
matter of time before it broke at the weld.  I modded both pipes as shown
and added a second safety cable held to the pipe with a SS hose-clamp.
Several hundred hours later and no more pipe breakage.

Not exactly what you were asking about but somewhat on-topic.

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS
Starduster  N666SK