REFLECTOR: Injector Idle Mixture

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 22:40:23 CST 2006

Jerry,

I owned a M20E with an IO-360A1A for 13 years and have adjusted my mixture before. What the problem sounds like is that you have the Idle screw set to high to allow the mixture control to be effective. What I think you need to do is reduce your Idle to 600 or 700 RPM using the idle stop screw. This is a big screw that stops the travel of you throttle linkage. Before you do so you should return your star adjuster to as close to where you found it as you can. With the star adjuster as close to the original position then reduce the large idle stop to 600 RPM. At this speed you will be able to recognize any change that you now make on the star adjuster. When mine was adjusted correctly I could hear and feel an adjustment as small as one notch of movement. What you will need to do since you changed the adjustment on the star adjuster is to slowly adjust it in a direction that increases your RPM. Each time you get the RPM to increase with the star adjuster, you will need to reduce the idle stop screw to slow you engine again to 600 RPM. Continue to do this until you start to loose RPM from the star adjuster and then back off until you reach the highest rpm that can be achieved from the star adjuster only. At this point you need to adjust it one notch to the rich and then set the engine RPM with your idle stop screw for the RPM that you want for your Idle. A correctly running IO-360 should run very smooth around 700 rpm. You will now need to go fly your aircraft in order to clean your plugs. Watch your EGT and CHT when you take off and make sure they are in normal operating limits. You should also make sure that the check valve on your airbox drain is working correctly. To do this put your finger over the drain tube and your idle shouldn't change. If you feel a vacuum and you RPM increases you need to clean this check valve that is located in the 45 degree AN fitting.

Good Luck hope this helps,

Andy Ellzey