REFLECTOR: Heavy Ailerons

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Mon Nov 27 06:49:05 CST 2006

Gordon, I understand that the ailerons get very hard to operate above 160
kts  which might indicate that the wings are flexing enough to rub against
the aileron torque tube if there is not sufficient clearance. Maybe some of
the others have some ideas as to why they would only bind at high speed.

Let us know what finally fixes the problem. I understand you did a beaytiful
job on the build.

Chuck H

----------------------------
Gordon Putney wrote:

>    I did move the push-pull cable ends radially inboard 3/16" on the
> aileron crank arms to achieve full controll deflection(2-1/2" down and
> 2-1/4" up, and I know this increases.......

Gordon, Steve mentioned this when I talked to him yesterday and mentioned
that you were going to remove the aileron "fences" to see if that made any
difference. I assume it didn't, since you wrote. I know that there was
another V that changed the position on the aileron crank which made his
controls very heavy as well, so I'd suggest you try moving it back to the
factory recommended position to see if it makes a difference, although 3/16"
isn't very much. I assume that the control cables move smoothly and that the
anchor connection inside the cabin is per specs.

Could the VG's ( in front of the aileron) have any affect on the air
designed to keep the airflow attached longer to the wing which could
conceivably load the ailerons.

Chuck H