REFLECTOR: Original Higher RPMS question

Jim Agnew jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 21 15:51:07 CST 2006

Attached is the Lycoming document on engine over-speed for all models.

Jim

James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying

Rene Dugas wrote:
Thanks to all.  I have raced boats, motorcycles and cars for years but
always appreciate others experiences and view points.  I've blown up
engines in small applications at 16,000 rpms and had lawn mowers hopped
up and blow at 3000 rpms.  I wish to be conservative but by nature I am
a racer.  I will continue to research.  I do not intend to use the
higher setting except if desired for climb out and acceleration to
cruise at 23/23 or 24/24.  Cooling has never been a problem.  I have
NACA's about one inch larger than the factor is now recommending.  Oil
in cruise is 165 degrees and CHT at 380 with EGT's 1450.  Large piston
diameter makes for large mass effect that multiplies rapidly as RPM's
increase.
Thanks,
Rene'