REFLECTOR: Franklin Mag

aminetech at bluefrog.com aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue Nov 21 11:30:06 CST 2006

Scott, Ronnie,

I appreciate your comments.  My hub has 2 marks indicating the
28-32 degree advance range and I am in that range.  I have no
problem with CHTs (140 C/284 F) is about the max at cruise on
a warm day.  Also, I have FINALLY succeeded in getting the
CHTs balanced, so I'm in good shape there.  I was also told to
expect less rpm drop with the EI because the spark is stronger.
However during my recent episode of having the mag way
advanced, I saw the reverse where the rpm dropped a lot with
the EI and very little with the mag.  So it seems like an
unbalanced rpm drop has a lot to do with the timing of the 2
ignition systems being different.  I decided that making the rpm
drop the same for both is the ideal approach.  I decided to
advance the mag to the EI because it's ran 500 hours with the EI
at it's current setting with no problems.
I saw no measurable change in CHTs during a flight test, so I
think I'm ok.  Time will tell.

John

Scott Derrick wrote:

   You might run hotter because of the fixed advanced timing..

   Traditionally I was told and I had the same behavior with a
   lightspeed/mag combo, was a dramatic 100 rpm drop when
   switched to the mag and no drop when switched to the EI.

   Scott