REFLECTOR: Main gear stops

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Nov 21 11:14:12 CST 2006

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Main gear stops

Hi Al

subject Gear stops

All three cylinders must be stopped by the spacer bushings at each of the
three cylinders.

after both  gears  up and nose gear doors closed  all bushing spacers make
contact ,the

1200 psi. switch opens and the pump stops.

If this is not done you may break something.

I know of a Velocity on his first flight that drove the main gear up and
lifted the top of the strake and lost all the fuel from the left fuel tank.

1200 psi can do a lot of damage.

Regards

Mack

Mack;

I have the stops on the cylinder rods, but not at the transverse bulkhead
for the gear legs.  When full up, one of the tires is up against the top of
the gear well firmly enough that it is difficult to turn, and does a bit of
rubbing when retracted spinning.  I had to get them up as far as possible
since I was mistakenly given the XL tires for my SE, and it was a challenge
to get them fit up properly. I think a stop at the bulkhead to relieve the
contact against the top strake would be a good idea.

Al