REFLECTOR: Franklin Mag

Ron Brown romott at roadrunner.com
Sat Nov 18 14:25:10 CST 2006

John,

You really do need to find out what the timing should be on your Franklin.   Having the correct timing as determined by the engine manufacturer will improve power while minimizing the chance for detonation which can really put a hurting on your wallet.

I did a Google search on "Franklin O350 spark timing" and got this page http://www.franklinengines.com/6a.cfm  which says you should be running between 28 - 32 degrees BTDC.  As Scott suggests, if your CHT's are running too hot, then go for the lower advance - 28 degrees which will also reduce your chance of detonation if you engine is indeed running too hot.

See ya,
Ronnie