REFLECTOR: Speaking of Mags

michalk michalk at awpi.com
Wed Nov 15 09:16:35 CST 2006

How much for those gizmos?

I fail to grasp the experimental market putting up with the expensive
electronic ignitions pitched for aviation.

I installed an Autronic, which is overkill for most, since it does
injection and ignition.  18mm Autolite spark plug, Bosch ignition
modules ,three heavy duty dual pole GM coil packs, and you are set.  Oh,
throw in some wires, and a crank sensor too.

Actually, it's not that easy.  However, the SDS guys (www.sdsefi.com)
use theirs on an RV, and won't run away if you say airplane.

If a person keeps a magneto as backup, and one of these electronic
ignition systems with all of the benefits of an advanced automotive
system, then you have the best of both worlds.

The biggest problem I see is the lack of a reliable easy to use crank
position sensor.  This is where the av-guys are going to gouge.  I
machined myself a crankshaft collar, but a magneto could be modified to
serve this need.

For my accurate angle, I have the collar.  For the not so accurate #1
pulse, I machined a pickup off the tachometer drive.