REFLECTOR: Engine Stand

Jim Agnew jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 16:29:15 CST 2006

Yes I did with a Lyc IO-360 with no problems.  However, I used two pieces of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together and cut to the exact dimensions of the engine bulkhead.  I then mounted the motor mount in the exact location of the planned installation and through bolted the mount and added 2" x 1/4" steel angle to reinforce the back side and bolt to the stand.  I also marked the location of the Spar on the backside.  This really helps with locating the engine bulkhead items and not drilling into the spar.  You may also find that you can use through bolts sometimes to hold two items on the front & back of the engine bulkhead especially Adel clamps.

This allows you to rotate the engine 360 degrees while mounting things on the engine and locate all of the bulkhead mounted items and measure accurately for hoses & wires.  You can then install and clamp all of the engine wires hoses and control mounts to be sure that everything fits.  When you are ready transfer the bulkhead items to the real bulkhead knowing you they will fit and be accessible.  Get the hoist and take the engine & mount and bolt it on the plane and attach the engine hookups.

Jim

James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying