REFLECTOR: Insurance - OUCH!

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed May 17 20:48:40 CDT 2006

Al,

When I bought my A35 Bonanza, Avemco required 20 hours dual, followed by
10 hours solo before carrying passengers.

All I had was a SEL Private ticket, with about 250 hours, and about the
same  complex/HP as you do.  So their requirement doesn't seem all that
far off from what I had to do.  The problem of course is you need to get
the dual and solo done before they will be willing to have you fly off
phase 1.  Cart before the horse.  Maybe they would do liability only and
let you fly off the phase 1, after you get the dual time done? Then you
can count your phase one flying for your solo time?

$120K * 3% == $3600  + $1200(liability) == $4800

You liability will go down as you get more time and an instrument
ticket, my liability is $600, I have an instrument, 1200 hours,  and 800
hours of HP/Complex.

Scott