REFLECTOR: Runway Rash

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Wed May 17 17:54:58 CDT 2006

Laurence Coen wrote:

>  My previous description was inaccurate.  When I replaced my original
> fork with the new thicker one I rearranged the washers.  The current
> set up is two Belleville washers with the cupped surfaces together
> above the fork and the nylon washer, flat steel washer and nut below.
> A word about materials.  Phenolic is not self lubricating and absorbs
> water.  Teflon is self lubricating but suffers from cold flow which
> would require constant adjustment.

I couldn't find nylon washers, so I cut some from a plastic drum (~1/8"
thick).  Not nylon, but I think it will work similarly.  I have 5
belleville washers and wanted to keep all of them in place.  I tried
using an extra (plastic) washer both on top and below the fork, but
there wasn't enough thread.  My previous arrangement is a phenolic
washer above the fork.  And a flat washer, 5 belleville washers, and
another flat washer below.  The phenolic washer is held with a screw.
Can I replace the phenolic washer with a plastic one?  Does it need a
screw in it?
Nothing more interesting than doing modifications right before a
trip.......

John