REFLECTOR: Runway Rash

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Wed May 17 15:26:30 CDT 2006

Larry,

Very good explanation of how static v. sliding friction affects our nose
wheel steering, but I'm still having difficulty seeing how the plastic
washer sharply changes the equation.  Are you saying that the plastic
washer reduces the differential between static and sliding, hence the
static (aka breakout force) can be set lower without compromising the
necessary sliding friction which dampens the shimmy?

If that's the theory, its comprehensible why it would reduce the
breakout force necessary to still damp the shimmy, but is the
change/improvement actually noticeable from a well lubbed Bellevile
washer setup?

Chuck Jensen

Diversified Technologies

2680 Westcott Blvd