REFLECTOR: Runway Rash

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue May 16 23:13:22 CDT 2006

Let me describe my "Oreo" friction damper.  I have two bevel washers (the

cracker part)  with a nylon washer making up the creamy filling.  I made the

nylon washer from 1/8" flat stock using a couple of hole saws.   The science

behind the idea is that nylon is self lubricating so there is no grease to

squeeze out or attract dirt.  My experience to date with ground handling has

gone slicker than snot on a brass doorknob.

Larry Coen

N136LC

I think there is something missing here.  The 'drag' that makes it hard to
steer IS the damping force that keeps it from shimmying.  If the wheel
pivots easily, where does the damping force come from?

Al