REFLECTOR: Runway Rash

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Tue May 16 18:04:25 CDT 2006

John,

Here's another data point: I have an XLRG w/ the
standard belville washer set up. I have the large nut
pretty tight which makes turning a little challenging,
but not too bad (btw, that's the criteria I used to
set it). There's been no sign of shimmy and no
adjustment has been necessary in the last 100 hours.

On takeoff, one mistake I made for too long was to
apply power just as the nose came into alignment w/
the runway center line (a la a spam can). Since I was
still turning, the nose wheel was still turned and it
took a lot of brake/rudder to straighten it out while
accelerating. The solution was to straighten the plane
out and let it track down the runway center line a few
feet before applying power. Duh...

On landing with a X-wind, I use the crab and jab
technique. Since rudder application in a Velocity at
landing speed produces a large roll component, you
have to apply opposite aileron to keeps the wings
level. Since the ailerons are less affective at that
speed, it's a relatively large aileron input too.

On takeoff, I've found it easier to come off the
rudders completely at rotation and then establish a
crab angle to climb out. I do this even with an X-wind
to prevent the inevitable roll component from the
rudder input. If rudder application is needed right
when I want to rotate, then I'll delay rotation a
second or two until I can get off the rudders again.
In the unusual scenario (there has been a few) where I
can't completely get off the rudders at rotation, I'm
applying opposite aileron in a big way knowing what's
coming...

Just my thoughts, Pat