REFLECTOR: Insurance - OUCH!

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Mon May 15 16:53:02 CDT 2006

I'm finding "the story" from insurance agencies keeps changing according the cycles of the moon.
Falcon, bless their heart, is the worse for inaccurate information.  My suggestion is to ask for and only deal with Don Gauger at Falcon.  He handles the Velocity fleet account and does one heck of a job.  AIG raised the hull limit for Velocity aircraft up to $150,000.  If your agent at Falcon is unable to confirm this, call AIG in Phoenix and ask for Cody McCormick at (480) 699-8407.
The average hull rate, based on standard coverage, is somewhere near 3% of the insured value.  $100K hull x 3% = $3,000/annum premium.  Add $1M Liability for around $750 per year ... $3,750 total.  $5,700 is too much for this insurance.  Tell Falcon this.  Duane Swing has met the senior representatives from Global at previous Sun n Fun and Oshkosh shows.  They have been open minded and supportive of insuring Velocity aircraft.  The claims history for Velocity aircraft is very, very low compared to other high-performance experimental aircraft.  Some agents, and insurance companies tend to "lump" high performance aircraft together, when the safety and claims record of Velocity owners deserve special and favorable consideration.  Be sure to contact Pam at AUA for a quote.
SB