REFLECTOR: Runway Rash

Greg Poole gpoole at zeta.org.au
Sun May 14 21:33:05 CDT 2006

Hi John,

My understanding from what others have said in the past is that you would be
better off with a Kevlar pad on the bottom of the winglet rather than metal.
I would guess that metal is likely to get hot and disassociate from the
glass it is bedded in whereas the tough Kevlar would be lighter, be less
likely to be damaged, less likely to dig in, and simply be ground away by
contact with the ground....this is what I'm doing.

In hanging below the main wing I figure the lower winglet may as well be the
sacrificial lamb in serving this purpose - I wonder if anybody has ever
thought of flush mounting a "bearinged" tough nylon disc wheel in there?
...and I would guess given the deep sweep of the wings that the rear of the
lower winglet that is most likely to cop the scrape?

Greg in Sydney