REFLECTOR: Gear leg stress

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Thu May 11 13:44:50 CDT 2006

Al,

I pull my V forward into my hanger. For the exact
reasons you mentioned, I move it back and forth a foot
or so afterward to relieve the pre-loading on the gear
legs. They literally spread inches. My hanger floor in
coated w/ epoxy paint (less friction)which may help
this technique.

As you now, FG's are most susceptible to lower main
gear leg deformation due to the oven affect created by
the combo of hot brakes & wheel pants. With a FG's,
Velocity recommends that you relieve any pre-load
stress on the gear legs (which can be either in or
out) whenever you park your plane while the brakes
could still be hot.

Pat XLRG