REFLECTOR: Test Area - and "essential crew"

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed May 10 11:52:13 CDT 2006

  My

understanding of the FAR was that you can only land at one field during

the Phase 1 and will have a box somewhere nearby over sparsely populated

areas.

That was my understanding as well, but while discussing possible other
landing strips in my test area for emergency landing, my DAR indicated I
could land at any field of my choice at any time.  Nothing in the operating
limitations limiting where I land within the test area.

The other interesting thing is the change in wording on the operating
limitations regarding other people in the plane.  Previous wording I had
seen was no one besides the pilot and "essential crew".  By the FAA's
definition, there is no essential crew in a single engine airplane.  The
wording on mine now says "only persons essential to the purpose of the
flight".  My DAR says someone to take data, or other actions for a
particular test purpose, during the flight is quite alright.

So maybe it depends on the discretion of the DAR; which doesn't really seem
appropriate.

Al

I would love to be able to fly the plane down to its home field once a

couple flights is done to continue its fly-off.  They have a longer

runway (enough for 747s and 777s.), it is a controlled field and have a

much better support in terms of FBOs and emergency equipments

(hopefully, I won't need their services but it is always nice to know

they're there).

It looks like there is some flexibility in the regs to make arrangements

like that.

Hiroo