REFLECTOR: Another step

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Wed May 10 00:44:34 CDT 2006

At 10:29 PM 5/9/2006, you wrote:

>Congrats from DU Al
.now how ya gonna fly off
>the 40 hrs within 2 weeks so you can get this beast down to the symposium?

I'll let you all in on a little secret.

In 99 we were finishing a plane to run at
Reno.  We did a year's worth of work in about 6
weeks.  Got it done a few days before the race.

I got a DAR who'd never inspected a homebuilt
before.  He didn't know what homebuilt flight
limitations normally looked like.  So I typed them up for him.

We got a test area that was a 25 mile radius
around Camarillo airport, where we did the first
flight.   But, we were allowed to test out of a
couple of other airports too.  We had a 25 mile
radius around Mojave and Fox, and a 10 mile corridor between them.

And 25 miles around Chino, and a corridor there.

And 25 miles around Stead.  And a corridor there.

And that's how it was that were racing at Reno
with an airplane that had it's first flight 4 days earlier.