REFLECTOR: New Collection and Control Hardware

michalk michalk at awpi.com
Thu May 4 08:57:34 CDT 2006

I'm using the PC-flight systems gyro.  If you dig long enough you can
find the location where they sell the gyro only.  I went for the laptop
installation so I could get the software as well, even though I don't
intend to use it that way other than for debugging.

The magnetic compass was ordered along with my Micro Encoder.  There are
lots of compasses available.  I probably spent more than I needed to on
the compass, but I felt the extra effort put into aviation hardware is
worth it.

NOTE:  Be careful when selecting off the shelf consumer grade parts.

It's tempting to see the prices for consumer stuff when shoehorning
avionics into electronics.  The best defense is to go with industrial
quality where you can get your hands on a certificate that gives numbers
for tolerances on temperature, humidity, vibration and such.
It may be okay to go with consumer grade, just be wary of where you are
putting your eggs.

Running a 60 watt Pentium at with a marginal fan at sea level is
completely different than trying to do the same thing at 10,000 feet.