REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim Spring

J.F.Sheehan at larc.nasa.gov J.F.Sheehan at larc.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 29 09:56:19 CST 2006

I had cut down the spring to about a 3/4 inch width and added some carbon. that did not work too well the carbon seperated from the glass and the spring was way too little. During approach for landing it was easy to get into a nose oscillation with your hand on the stick you became part of the oscillation. I replaced it with a standard factory spring and am very happy. The aircraft will trim very nicely and stay where you want it. I had the strainer on and off and see very little effect. I fly at cruise with about 1/4 inch up elevator. No vg's or vortillons. The airplane does very well but for the most part I fly to good runways where I am comfortable with 80-85 kt touchdown speeds.
Jack
N55XL