REFLECTOR: FAR Part 61.31(e)

Darrell & Nora Kufalk kufalk at wi.rr.com
Wed Mar 22 21:27:26 CST 2006

I know there are some of you out there that just love questions like this.

While studying for my BFR, I came across this...

FAR 61.31 Type rating requirements, additional training, and authorization
requirements.

(e) Additional training required for operating complex airplanes. (1) Except
as provided in paragraph (e)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot
in command of a complex airplane (an airplane that has a retractable landing
gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller; or, in the case of a
seaplane, flaps and a controllable pitch propeller), unless the person has-

(i) Received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized
instructor in a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight
training device that is representative of a complex airplane, and has been
found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane; and

(ii) Received a one-time endorsement in the pilot's logbook from an
authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a
complex airplane.

The single word that threw me was flaps.   The Velocity does not have flaps.
Can it ever be considered a complex aircraft?